Eating for Beauty
As humans, we have an intrinsic desire to look and feel beautiful. This is normal and natural and in fact, beauty can signify a positive state of health.
What we don’t realize, is that beauty truly does radiate from the inside out. Daily, we are bombarded by pollutants that negatively impact our health.
While the products offered by our salon are excellent, they function in a complementary manner to good overall health practices.
When we treat our bodies like the temples that they were built to be, we experience positive effects. AJF Salon encourages using nutrition to improve appearance, vitality and health in conjunction with any other routines that you currently have in place. Read on to discover foods that will give you a glow not found in any bottle.
Beauty foods are foods that contain high concentrations of the minerals sulfur, silicon, zinc, iron and/or magnesium, David refers to the following as some of the best beautifying foods that you can include in your diet. These foods will have an alkalizing reaction with your body, anti-parasitical effects and contain high levels of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
In the list below you can see some of the top ‘beautifying foods’ recommended by David Wolfe his book ‘Eating For Beauty:
- Aloe Vera – Believed to be a food of long-lasting youth and rapid healing. The anti-inflammatory power in acute inflammation is one of it’s best known actions. The gel of the Aloe Vera can be used topically or add to your daily juice.
- Coconut Oil – Contains a number of health giving properties including being high in antioxidants, control blood sugar levels, assist the thyroid gland and repair the skin. You can eat it straight, blend into smoothies, use in cooking and on the skin.
- Cucumbers – Fantastic for cleansing our bodies. The skins of cucumbers are high in silicon although are often grown with pesticides and waxed in stores so it is best to choose organic.
- Figs – Super high in calcium and other minerals. They are also contain large amounts of fiber and therefore beneficial for our digestive system. They have been described as being the most alkalizing if all dried fruits.
- Hemp Seed – One of the most nutritionally complete foods containing all nine essential amino acids making them exceptionally high in protein whilst also high in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and minerals. Eat them as a snack, add to a salad or use the hemp oil in your smoothie.
- Macadamia Nuts – Contain high levels of selenium needed to build the body’s most powerful enzyme. The macadamia nut’s overall combination of fatty acids and zinc makes it wonderful skin beautifier.
- Pumpkin Seeds – A wonderful source of B vitamins, many minerals (including zinc), phytonutrients and fatty oils. All of these contributing to their ability to produce clear and glowing skin. They also have anti-parasite properties.
- Turmeric – Considered a restorative food, with strong anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-cancer and anti-microbial characteristics. Well known for its ability to purify blood which is essential for clear skin.